How Sharon Got involved
Early in 2010 while Sharon was still Creative Director/Writer at The Farm, her creative team was instrumental in creating an image campaign for USA TODAY, launching with the tagline "What America Wants," and targeting marketers. The success of this campaign led to Gannett's choosing to work with Sharon to create its first-ever branding campaign.
GANNETT'S BACK STORY
- Started over 100 years ago
- Became newspaper publishing giant with over 80 newspapers
- Founded the first national newspaper, USA TODAY
- Fortune 500 company
- Acquired many broadcast properties, mostly local TV affiliates
- Acquired several digital properties such as CareerBuilder.com, PointRoll, Captivate
- Also owns many special interest publications and websites such as Military Times, MomsLikeMe, HighSchoolSports.net
Because Gannett had never done a branding campaign, and was basically considered to be a holding company by the industry, name recognition was low. Those who knew them, knew them only as a newspaper company rather than the diverse and forward-thinking media and marketing solutions company that they are. Plus, they had a very dated logo and website.
A Comprehensive Rebranding
- Develop a strategic platform, including new Mission and Vision statements, Brand Architecture, etc.
- Create a new logo and tagline
- Create and execute a new website, an ad campaign and an internal communication that introduces the new brand
Because many of Gannett’s brands had higher awareness than the parent company, an endorsed brand architecture was recommended.
To be the trusted, leading media and marketing solutions company at the forefront of a new era in human engagement.
An excerpt from Gannett’s new website says it best:
The blue logo is simple and straight-forward yet fresh and modern, elevating the Gannett corporate brand and representing who Gannett is today. It has roots in mid-century newspaper typefaces, and expresses a contemporary eloquence. Gannett worked with the small boutique advertising firm, The Farm, to create the new logo and brand campaign.
Again, we’ll let Gannett say it for us…
Gannett’s new slogan – “It’s all within reach” – speaks to the many benefits our company offers today – for multiple audiences. For consumers, Gannett provides easy access to the information they want, when they want it, on every platform. For businesses, Gannett delivers innovative marketing solutions that help put their goals within reach. For employees, the company offers rewarding careers and opportunities to grow. Gannett has what consumers and businesses want from a media and marketing solutions company and we deliver what they need on every platform – broadcast, digital, mobile, publishing.
ONLINE BRAND BROCHURE